Quick Reference Guide For Sensitive Skin
Red Reactive Skin No More
Check out our short helpful guide to assist you in getting the perfect skin care regime for sensitive skin.
Why Are You Blushing?
Some of us are unlucky to suffer from a red and reactive skin even when applying gentle skin care products. Some of us may even experience a bright red skin after exercise, hot baths, or eating spicy foods or after drinking hot drinks. This may be Rosacea and if so it would need medical attention.
“Rosacea is characterised by 100’s of tiny veins in the superficial part of the skin that allow increased blood flow to the skin surface giving a bright red appearance to the affected areas. Almost like blushing!” Dr Alek Nikolic
Often the culprit for sensitive skin is a specific ingredient or the way we are taking care of our skins so understanding what a good skin care regime is vital for our skin’s health.
- Skin allergy to:
- Ingredients in skin care products
- Household cleaners
- Clothes and jewellery
- Dramatic changes in environmental temperature
- Dirt & Pollution
- Excessive cleansing or using hard granular scrubs or brushes
- Hormone changes
- Use only products that are specific for sensitive skin types. Not sure what skin type you are click here for our easy guide: Recognising Your Skin Type
- Consider a Cortisone Cream: an over the counter cortisone cream can dramatically reduce any allergy or dermatitis that may have developed
- Medical care: consider seeing your family doctor, cosmetic doctor or dermatologist for expert advice or take Dr Alek’s Face2Face Assessment.
Avoid The Following:
- Overly abrasive scrubs (such as those that contain aluminium oxide crystals, walnut shells, or pumice)
- Astringents containing irritating ingredients (alcohol and menthol being the prime offenders)
- Toners containing irritating ingredients (alcohol and menthol being the prime offenders)
- Scrub mitts
- Cold or hot water
- Steaming or icing the skin
- Facial masks containing irritating ingredients (watch out for fragrant essential oils and polyvinyl alcohol)
- Bar soaps and bar cleansers
Need More Info?
Further Reading & Recommended In Depth Articles:
- Treating Sensitive Skin: Choosing The Right Ingredients
- Rosacea Guideline
- Rosacea Skin Care Regime
- How To Plan Your Skin Care Regime
- How to Perfect Your Skin-Care Routine
For More Skincare Advice:
- Take Our Skin Assessment: see immediate recommendations for your skin type and/or skin concern
- Take Dr Alek Nikolic’s Face2Face Skin Consultation: get personal recommendations for your skin from Dr Alek
See Our Full Treatment Product List For Sensitive Skin: please click here
Dr Alek Nikolic’s Top Picks for Sensitive Skin: