Reference Guide for Oily Skin
Need A Slick Guide For Your Oily Skin?
Read Our Quick and Helpful Reference Guide for Oily Skin Sufferers. This is SkinMiles’ and Dr Alek Nikolic’s quick guide for anyone who suffers from oily skin. Get educated or directed in how to recognise oily skin, causes of oily skin, treatment guidelines, and what oily skin care products are recommended by Dr Alek Nikolic for your skin care regime.
What Is Oily Skin?
Oily skin can be very hard to control because it is the result of genetically determined hormonal changes in your body, and you simply cannot control hormones topically. However oily skin tends to age better and is less prone to developing wrinkles, fine lines, and a sallow complexion.
How do you know if you have oily skin?
Here are my clear indications that you have oily skin:
- Visible and enlarged pores
- Your face is shiny only an hour or two after cleansing, and usually appears greasy by midday
- Your makeup doesn’t seem to stay on your face
- The more oily areas of your face have blackheads, white bumps, or acne
Check my Recognising Your Skin Type guideline
Causes of Oily Skin
- Can vary from person to person so it is a good idea to have a skin consultation or try our Face2Face Skin Assessment
- Hormone levels:
- Birth control pills
- With women their Menstrual Cycle can cause hormone fluctuations and changes in the oil production of the skin
- Changes in temperature and weather
- Blockage-Inducing skin care products
Recommended Treatment Guideline:
- Start with a gentle cleanser: Use a gentle, water-soluble cleanser twice daily
- Use a toner: An alcohol-free toner loaded with antioxidants and cell-communicating ingredients
- Protect from sun damage
- Exfoliate to remove built-up skin cells: this is one of the most important steps for people who suffer from oily skin
- Moisturise in the evenings: choose a lightweight liquid, gel, or serum
- Other options: use blotting paper to absorb excess oil or shine on the skin
Need More Info?
Further Reading & Recommended In Depth Articles:
- Treating Oily Skin: Choosing The Right Ingredients
- How To Plan Your Skin Care Regime
- How to Perfect Your Skin-Care Routine
For More Skincare Advice:
- Take Our Skin Assessment: see immediate recommendations for your skin type and/or skin concern
- Take Dr Alek Nikolic’s Face2Face Skin Consultation: get personal recommendations for your skin from Dr Alek
See Our Full Treatment Product List For Oily Skin: please click here
Dr Alek Nikolic’s Top Picks for Oily Skin:
- DERMACEUTIC MASK 15
- DERMAQUEST DERMACLEAR PADS
- DERMACEUTIC ACTIV RETINOL 0.5
- DERMAQUEST DERMACLEAR BHA CLEANSER
- EXUVIANCE PURIFYING CLAY MASQUE
- HELIOCARE 360 GEL OIL FREE