Dry and Dehydrated Skin
Need A Helpful Dry Skin Guideline?
Check Out Our Helpful & Quick Reference Guide for Dry and Dehydrated Skin Sufferers. This is SkinMiles’ and Dr Alek Nikolic’s quick guide for anyone who suffers from dry skin. Get educated or directed in how to treat dry or dehydrated skin, some clever at home guidelines, find out what causes dry skin, and what dry skin care products and treatments are recommended by Dr Alek Nikolic.
What It Feels Like?
Typically people who suffer from dry skin feel that their skin is tight especially after cleansing and can look dry and flaky at certain times of the day. There is hope to have a supple, plump and well moisturised skin. Ingredients do exist whose main aim is to moisturise and plump those dry skin cells giving one the best looking skin possible.
Dry skin firstly needs moisturisation but it also needs stimulation to renew cells and increase the production of collagen and elastin.
Not sure what skin type you are check our skin type guide here.
Causes of Dry and Dehydrated Skin
- Can vary from person to person so it is a good idea to have a skin consultation or try our Face2Face Skin Assessment
- Winter Weather
- Steamy Showers
- Moisture-Robbing Soaps: so avoid bar soaps when cleansing the face
- Granular exfoliators or scrubs or rough rubbing of the skin
- Natural ageing process: we tend to lose the ability to manufacture enough hyaluronic acid (our water absorption molecules in our skins)
- Medical conditions (xerosis): including but not limited to eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, etc.
Recommended Treatment Guideline:
- Avoid the following:
- Soaps (all kinds, and anything in bar form)
- Exposure to hot water
- Abrasive scrubs (think of the microdermabrasion-at-home type, or those that contain fruit and nut fragments)
- Harsh cleansing ingredients
- Products with irritating ingredients (i.e. alcohol, peppermint, menthol, mint, citrus, eucalyptus, fragrance)
- Wear a good sunscreen
- Use the best moisturisers possibleto replenish the skin: see our list of moisturisers for dry skin below
- Exfoliate to remove built-up skin cells with Alphahydroxy and beta hydroxy acids
- Remember your lips
Need More Info?
- Further Reading & Recommended In Depth Articles:
- Are Your Wrinkles Caused by Dry Skin?
- Treating Dry Skin: Choosing The Right Ingredients
- Recognising Your Skin Type
- For More Skincare Advice:
- Take Our Skin Assessment: see immediate recommendations for your skin type and/or skin concern
- Take Dr Alek Nikolic’s Face2Face Skin Consultation: get personal recommendations for your skin from Dr Alek
- See Our Full Treatment Product List For Dry and Dehydrated Skin: please click here
- Dr Alek Nikolic’s Top Picks for Dry and Dehydrated Skin:
- SKINCEUTICALS TRIPLE LIPID RESTORE 2:4:2
- SKINCEUTICALS HYDRATING B5
- DERMACEUTIC HYAL CEUTIC
- DERMAQUEST NOURISHING PEPTIDE RICH
DRY & DEHYDRATED SKIN